I love a crowd-pleasing recipe. I take pleasure in sharing a home-baked dessert that gets eaten up before the others! Does that make me too prideful? Probably, but at least I’m honest! 😉
You should know that the first time I tried out this recipe, I made a few mistakes. First of all, I found that the brownie layer was too dry. To avoid this, be sure to check the oven a few times towards the end of the baking time so that you avoid over-baking! (It’s okay if the brownies look a tad undercooked when you remove them from the oven. They’ll harden a little as they cool.)
My next mistake was not accounting for the total time it would take to finish everything. This recipe must be made in intervals, since cooling each layer is necessary. Just know that if you plan to serve these Twix Brownies for dessert, you won’t have time to start them after supper!
This delicious recipe makes 24 small bars, or 12 large ones. Definitely perfect for a party–or for a family with lots of kiddos! 🙂
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 oz.) box Lorna Doone’s shortbread cookies
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (11 oz.) bag caramel bits
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 3/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9×13-inch glass baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until just combined. Add salt, cocoa powder and flour gradually to wet mixture until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake 20 to 23 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Place shortbread cookies in a food processor and crush until fine crumbs.
- Place crumbs in a bowl and add cream cheese and sugar. Beat with a hand-mixer until combined.
- Press this mixture evenly over cooled brownies.
- Place caramel bits and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour over shortbread layer. Place in fridge to let cool completely. (Or, melt in a saucepan over medium-high heat.)
- Using a double-boiler over medium-high heat, melt the shortening and chocolate chips. Be sure to stir occasionally, until completely melted.
- Pour over caramel layer. Place in fridge to let brownies set before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from: Life in the Lofthouse.
If you’re more of a cookie person, check out my perfectly soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies!